[3830] NAQP RTTY YN5Z(K7ZO) Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 1 10:29:06 EST 2016

North American QSO Party, RTTY - February

Call: YN5Z
Operator(s): K7ZO
Station: YN5Z

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Nicaragua

   80:   10     8
Total:  508   147  Total Score = 74,676

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Having arrived in Nicaragua earlier than normal for my ARRL DX SSB preparations
I figured I would give NAQP RTTY a try. I don't think there has ever been a
NAQP RTTY operation from Nicaragua so that added to the fun factor. With a
total full blown effort I could even probably get close to the all time outside
W/VE record set by V31###. But, I decided before the start this was going to be
a more causual effort. Meaning taking a dip in the pool break, a watch the
sunset break, and spending time with our son, his girlfriend, and our niece
when they dropped by to visit. So, with those expectations I had a great time.

10 meters was wide open at the start of the contest. I had gotten on 10 earlier
in the day when I heard beacons galore pounding in. Even with the reduced
propagation these days the north-south path stays open on 10 meters. Many folks
said I was "the only signal on the band". Pretty much everyone was
loud. So, I started the contest on 10 with good rates for three hours or so.
Then I started the usual progression down the bands first moving to 15.
Conditions were certainly more crowded on 15 but the band was in better shape
and I worked many more multipliers there. Suspecting 10 Meters was still open I
easily passed ME and RI from 15 up to 10 for a mult, though a VE6 pass was for
naught. A little after 2200 UTC 15m opened for me to JA and I was suddenly
swamped with loud JA's calling. They were just DXing and not in NAQP so I had
to ask each one for their name, slowing things down quite a bit. After a while
I was forced to call "NORTH AMERICA ONLY" as a way to control things.
Soon after it was time for a break to enjoy the sunset and visit with our guests
that dropped by. I was off the air for the next two hours. When I got back on 15
was closed and so I bounced around on 20 for a bit more than an hour. My QSO and
mult count was certainly below what was possible. I then spent about 15 minutes
on 40 meters, took a 45 minute dinner break, got on 40 for another 30 minutes
followed by a final 15 minutes on 80 meters.

WriteLog shows about 7 hours on the air. It was a fun and relaxing Saturday on
the air. It also gave me a good feel for the bands prior to ARRL DX SSB next
weekend.

Thanks everyone for the QSOs. I will see everyone in ARRL DX SSB this coming
weekend.

QSL information can be found on the YN5Z QRZ.COM page.

Scott/YN5Z/K7ZO