[3830] ARRLDX SSB K3ZJ SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 7 10:21:29 EST 2016

ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K3ZJ
Operator(s): K3ZJ
Station: K3ZJ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 37:45

Total: 1761   379  Total Score = 1,988,613

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Travails of a mountaintop "vacation" station.  Everything worked when
last on site 5 days before contest.  Friday I arrived through ice and snow to
find one end of triband (40-80-160) trapped dipole on ground under light snow.
By late Friday enough melted off tower to repair and replace.  However, at start
of contest beam stuck at 0 degrees when turning toward JA, so both JA & EU
attenuated.  Dipole also had intermittent static and fluctuating SWR.  More
light ice/snow overnight meant tower could not be climbed until after 1800
Saturday when ice finally melted off tower.

I found that one simple problem impaired both antennas.  The end of the dipole
was strung too high. One of the C31XR elements caught on it.  So beam could not
be rotated more than 15 degrees once caught and dipole was both detuned and
erratic as wind blew.

I was able to make some QSOs, but MUCH better after 1830 Saturday when
everything worked!

Thanks to all for the QSOs.