[3830] ARRLDX SSB KH6CJJ SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 7 15:18:36 EST 2016

ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KH6CJJ
Operator(s): KH6CJJ
Station: KH6CJJ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Maui, Hawaii
Operating Time (hrs): 21:33

Total: 1648   209  Total Score = 1,031,415

Club: Maui Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

Great contest with a lot of activity!  Family considerations prevented a maximum
effort, but I was able to operate during most of the time 10 and 15 were open to
W and VE.  With my low power, small, and low antenna station, they are the
"money" bands for me.  When it was open, 10 was very good.  The
contest started at 1400 local time and 10 was open, although, with it getting
late in the US and Canada, I only made about 60 contacts before switching to
15.  Saturday morning, 10 opened about 0830 and was good until the early
afternoon.  Sunday morning 10 did not open to W and VE until 0930, but was
great again until the early afternoon.  Whenever 10 slowed down I moved to 15,
which was open much longer each day.  The problem with 15 was that, during the
morning hours here, the US and Canadian stations were all pointing to Europe,
which made it hard for them to hear low power stations from the Pacific.  Once,
they started pointing our way 15 was good.  20 would die to the US by 1800
local, so I only worked it in the late afternoon, as 15 slowed down.  40 meters
was my downfall.  When it was open, it seemed as though there were very few Ws
or VEs calling CQ...they were all S&P.  With my low power and poor antenna,
it was very difficult to start any runs.  I did get spotted once or twice on 80
and managed to have a couple of decent runs there.  I quit both nights by about
2300 local, so certainly lost some 40 and 80 Qs and mults.

Thanks to the many stations that worked me on all five bands.  Someday, I'll
get an antenna up for 160.

Aloha, Kent

TS990S - 150 watts
Hexxbeam at 25 feet