[3830] ARRLDX SSB VA7BEC SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 8 00:15:16 EST 2016

ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VA7BEC
Operator(s): VA7BEC
Station: VA7BEC

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: BC

Total:  606   208  Total Score = 377,520

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I went into this year's contest without any real goals as conditions have been
rather dismal lately, at least from this neck of the woods. And ARRL DX is
typically an S&P activity for me, anyway, with valiant attempts at an EU or
JA run, conditions permitting.
Happily, the bands started off not too badly, noisy but still providing some
good Qs. Conditions began to crumble on Saturday as the sun came up and became
progressively worse through Sunday, with stats indicating a shift from
"good" and "fair" to "poor" and
"closed". And the aurora exceeded 8!!! Although it was a very tough
slog, 10m was much better than I expected -- I thought I'd have zero Qs but
managed double digits, mainly SA and Caribbean -- and 20m proved to be the
go-to band, with 15m close behind.
When CONDX turn solid 59+ signals into mere whispers in a storm, every QSO that
goes into the log is even more appreciated. Thanks to all who heard me through
the noise and patiently persevered to get my callsign right. Special thanks,
though, to those who answered my CQs and gave me my pileup fix. Very much
appreciated. The mini-runs to EU and JA were great!
73,
Rebecca VA7BEC