[3830] ARRLDX SSB GM3PPG(G4BYB) SOSB/80 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Mar 19 23:19:33 EDT 2016

ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: GM3PPG
Operator(s): G4BYB
Station: GM3PPG

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: North Uist, Scotland

   80: 1031    56
Total: 1031    56  Total Score = 173,208

Always look forward to this contest as a great way of
intensively checking propagation across the Pond on 80m.

I used the same 6 element vertical array which I'd used in previous years
but temporarily rigged a 160m "T" antenna on 3 of the 6
masts the previous weekend to try in the CQ 160m contest.
It worked fine on 160m but I had to remove the metal pulleys
and short supporting bars from the tops as they significantly
altered the self impedances of the masts on 80m which would have
mucked up the array's F/B.

The 1st night started slowly but speeded up after an hour.  I felt that
propagation conditions for me in NW Europe on 80m were better than last year
but not as good as 2010 - maybe as good as 2009.  Great to work several CA
stations, WA, AB, and MB.  The band effectively closed for me at 0730
even though there were still many East coast stations romping through.  Ended
up with 565 Q (inc dupes) and 47 mult on 1st night.

The 2nd night started at 2130 working into NF and NS but I was unable to find
VO2 this year - they sometimes appear in nets at this time.
The most memorable qso, though, was with W0TF in ND at 2320.  This was approx.
1 hour before his SST with the terminator just entering OH.  Thanks OM !
I found conditions on this night slightly better and was very pleased to end up
with 13 stations in CA, 5 stations in WA, and an amazing 3 stations from ID.
I missed out on MT, NE, VE7, and the Northern Canadian Provinces.  The last qso
on the Sunday morning was at 0742z, but it stayed open for another 2 to 3
hours.
Interesting to still hear KH7M at 1010z at about 56, and also T32AZ at 1020z at
about 53 working into North America.  Having a very low noise location here when
looking NW
out across the Atlantic helps a lot!

The 3rd night (starting about 2.5 hours before the end of the contest) was
extremely poor due to the solar event which occurred earlier in the day
reported by many others.
Local signals had the characteristic auroral flutter, and the phased array
showed very little F/B on them.  All signals from the USA and Canada were down
in strength by
about 20dB and only the Eastern seaboard stations were heard (except for one
station in OH).  If the aurora had hit one day earlier it would have been a
disaster for LF
propagation to this part of NW Europe although it probably enhanced propagation
on the HF bands, inc. 10m, for a while maybe with some skewed paths.

Overall I had a great time.  Ended with 1031 qsos and 56 mult. Congratulations
to the other stations in Europe some of whom are developing M/M and M/S
stations.  Good luck to 9A1TT !!
When there is no auroral activity propagation is always easier to the Western
edge of Europe and much tougher/non existent to mid or Eastern Eu.

Thanks to all the callers and hope to see you next year,  73,  Rick (GM3PPG).

Location :   Isle of North Uist, Outer Hebrides, Scotland.
Rig      :   FT990 with Acom amp
Antenna  :   6 element vertical phased array near the ocean