[3830] Rus DX OH0X(OH6KZP) SO Mixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 20 12:33:57 EDT 2016

Russian DX Contest

Call: OH0X
Operator(s): OH6KZP
Station: OH0X

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: Brando

  160:   195    33       53        53
   80:   477   145       68        62
   40:   517   129       78        65
   20:   517   267       93        70
   15:   307    68       85        61
   10:    92     6       35        26
Total:  2105   648      412       337  Total Score = 12,655,853

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

Hadn't done a serious single-op contest since CQWW CW in November, so it was
about time to get rolling again. I've appreciated being able to sleep properly
on the weekends :)

Band conditions resembled last year's edition; I just re-read my previous RDXC
3830 entry, and it appears we were also then recovering from a geomagnetic
storm. The rates were pretty good on Saturday and I didn't really start feeling
tired until local sunrise, around 0430z on Sunday morning. Fortunately that bout
passed with an energy drink and without too much pain, although 15m/10m appeared
to never wake up properly. I think we are now clearly heading into the leaner
years in that regard.

Ten meters was a big fight on Sunday morning, with "ESP" QSOs and S9+
QSOs appearing to take turns, partly of course due to the proximity of UA land
from here. Tried to have a presence on 10m for much of Sunday, but perhaps
spent a bit too much time hoping for another multiplier to emerge from the
noise floor.

I experimented with the Dxlog.net contest software again, and want to give
particular thanks to Chris 9A5K for a fine piece of software and especially for
his active support. He worked for several hours on Friday night and Saturday
morning to iron out some details of program behavior in SO2R situations, which
I appreciated very much indeed. Dxlog.net handles separate serial numbers for
the two radios without troubles, making it simpler to work number contests like
RDXC without having to worry if the right number goes in the log. The feature is
of course also available in some other programs, but I'm partial to software in
the CT legacy family.

The only minor scary trouble was the digital direction indicator of the main
tower that acted up briefly in the wee hours of the night. The numbers went
wild when starting to turn the tower, only to calm down later, and fortunately
the problem quickly disappeared. Need to check the connections at the tower
base before next time.

Thanks to others in the Brändö Island Group and Radio Arcala teams for
support, thanks to Tonno ES5TV for another fine local Baltic Sea battle, and
thanks to everybody for the QSOs! CU all in WPX SSB from OH0X, most likely SOAB
HP. So I get to sleep :)

Kim OH6KZP