[3830] Rus DX KE3X(@N3HBX) SO Mixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 20 15:03:15 EDT 2016

Russian DX Contest

Call: KE3X
Operator(s): KE3X
Station: N3HBX

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: Poolesville MD

  160:    8      0        2         0
   80:   99      2       40         2
   40:  279     49       71        24
   20:  366     69       74        49
   15:   43      5       28         0
   10:    5      6        8         0
Total:  800    131      220        75  Total Score = 1,353,165

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Many thanks to John N3HBX for the use of The Farm this weekend, to NN3W for
switching schedules, and Mark KD4D for help with computer and SO2R setup.
Most everything we do around here is a PVRC team effort, and this weekend was
no exception.

I saw an article on ESPN this week about White Sox first baseman Adam LaRoche
quitting baseball because the team manager said he could no longer bring his
son to the practice field.   Without taking sides on that story, coincidentally
my XYL Ann was traveling in South America last week with our 17-year old,
leaving our 10-year old Connor with me.   Due to bad calendar coordination, it
happened that Russian DX was scheduled before she flew back.   What to do?

Connor quickly informed me he was 'too old for a babysitter' - therefore we
packed for a 24-hour campout at the Poolesville shack for Saturday.   Into the
backpack went sleeping bag, snacks, books, games, playing cards, iPhone
charger, and most importantly - hockey skates and stick, in case the weather
allowed for skating at the all-season skating rink at The Farm.  Alas, the
weather didn't cooperate - we had rain showers and snow flurries throughout the
day Saturday.

But Connor was a great sport, and saw first-hand what crazy contesters do for
24-hours, cooped up in a small shack, headphones glued to my head.   It was
great to have my little buddy keeping me company all day, and he finished
another book in the Narnia series.  Overnight he slept 8 hours, I slept 2.

As for the contest itself, I am always impressed with the high quality of CW
operators in Russia, and this weekend was no exception.   We had rain and snow
static for most of Saturday afternoon up to S-9 level at times but eventually
it faded, and no hardware or software problems to speak of.

I had looked at last year's log and resolved to spend more time on Phone,
hoping the extra QSOs would compensate for lower 80 and 160-meter Mults versus
New England.   Got the extra QSO's, but fell way short on mults - congrats to
Dennis @W1KM.  I heard 15 countries on 160 and another 10 on 80 that all CQ'd
in my face.  With High Power they would all be in the log.  Oh well, there's
always another contest, and any day spent with Connor is a good one.   See you
in WPX Phone.

73,

Ken