[3830] Rus DX NA8V SO Mixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 21 03:52:25 EDT 2016

Russian DX Contest

Call: NA8V
Operator(s): NA8V
Station: NA8V

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: mi

  160:   32      2        7         1
   80:   99     12       40         2
   40:  132     11       45         7
   20:  244     41       64        33
   15:   27      5       22         -
   10:    3      1        4         -
Total:  537     72      182        43  Total Score = 626,850

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Difficult condx multiplied by everyone packed into 20m during the day.  I don't
remember ever being unable to work so many s9 stations.  There was some
long-haul skip around ss and sr to keep it interesting.  Needed more of
those......Most Interesting propagation was hearing JT1CO on 40 coming in over
EU with a good signal (s7-9) and hour before dark.  Of course I couldn't get
his attention.  40 was a real disappointment.  I had 2/3 of my qso's before
dark, then it got real tough.  80 and 160 were fair but not all that great.
Working SP on 20m only pretty much says it all.

Used the cluster/skimmer for the first time.  Not sure if it helped or hurt.
I'm sure if i could have got some answers to CQs it would have been more of a
plus.  About 100 of my contacts were via CQ and I'm sure the bulk of those were
stateside on the low bands.  Tried a new version of TR4w a few days before the
contest, it had a couple minor loose screws in it which the development team
tightened up on Thursday and it worked without a hitch, many thanks.

As many have commented, the Russians are great operators.  They also seemed to
have better ears than many of the stations further to the west.  I really like
this contest, maybe next year condx won't so disturbed so that it can be more
enjoyable.

Thanks for all the Q's!

greg/na8v