[3830] WPX SSB VE9AA SOAB(TS) LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 27 21:01:20 EDT 2016

CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOAB(TS) LP
QTH: nb
Operating Time (hrs): 33:15

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Still recovering somewhat from pneumonia so a phone contest is not what I was
looking forward to this weekend as I just don't have the breath for it and
cough a lot and can't quite spit everything out in one breath like before.

Worked on putting up a new antenna on the day of the contest (that's what your
are supposed to do, right?).  To insure it worked correctly I waited until it
was literally freezing rain and ice pellets. Only 8 trips in and out of the
house and I had the full size quad loop for 20m working well .

  Much better than my normal 20m antenna (HF9V) (and quieter to boot). Drawback
is that all antennas had a high SWR the first part of the weekend due to ice up
here on the 'Ridge.

I tweaked the 40m & 80m wire antennas to the phone bands (note to self, set
them back to CW for WPX-CW !)

My first real SSB contest as SO2R...got some help from the N1MM+ team and
support staff to figure out what I was doing.  W/O you guys, I am back to
pencil and paper.  My greatest thanks as always.

Now just some random thoughts from this weekend:
(with a stn description. at the end)

-It is not acceptable to plunk down a mere 200Hz from me and CQ even though I
am LP !  You are S9, so I know you hear me !

-My name is not Andy (but I'll take it as a compliment)

-I thought only fart and grunting noises were allowed on 80m at night (not from
EU during the day on 20m ! Had 1 or 2 guys follow me around for an hour.
Weird.

-I miss 10m ! Oh, do I miss it.  That was my go-to band with low antennas here

-I miss CW.........I'll take clicks over splatter any day.

-Every time I worked AD4Z, VE4VT and NR3X they were pulling ahead of me. ;-)
WTG guys ! Just wasn't my weekend.

-Darn that work phone.....I was on call this w/e and got interrupted a lot

-Exciting to work China on phone.

-Lots of weird calls, but familiar voices - Figured out a few of them. (Hey
Jay!-N4OX &Bob, K5WA, Paul, N4PN, Nate,N4YDU & a few others)

-DH8BQA worked on more bands this weekend than last. Hey Olli.

-Same as last year, I had s9+ stations I did not call as I could not understand
them enough to make a QSO.  Do special radios have gain and compression levels
that go to '11' ?

-Only one real freq fight. Came within 100-150Hz of my freq and just CQ'd.
Hard to protest running LP, but you're S9, you hear me.  Bully !

-Dual band contest anyone? (though 15m showed signs of life near the end)

-Lost some BIC time chasing VK0EK and spending meals, etc. with the family.
Shy of the 36hr limit.....It's only a hobby!

-My IC-746 (radio#2) puts out anywhere from 10w to 90w depending on it's mood.
Fairly stable (usually_)on CW, but funky on SSB. All over the place.  Power
output just rocks all over the place like waves on the ocean. Tuner has a mind
of its own.  Can't wait to get my new IC-7300 !

-Condx not super bad, but certainly not vy enhanced at all. (IMO)

-KT8K's song comes to mind. ' I want a big tower' - check youtube for Tim's
music....I did work Tim later on after writing this.

-What WRTC points? Got trampled this w/e... UGH..... ;-)

-It's hard to drink coffee and work phone at the same time

-I dream about the next paddle I might buy (a N3ZN no doubt), but surprisingly
I never dream about my next headset. (I do like my CM-500 however)

-Am I on the right antenna?

-15m came alive a little on Sunday, very late. Yeeha!

-10m lives......mostly all SA and one lonely ZL

-A nice 40m run right at the end. Musta got spotted.

Thanks All !

73 de Mike VE9AA - dit dit
SO2R...IC7410 & IC746, Yamaha CM-500 headest, YCCC SO2R+ box, N1MM+

IC-746 + ZS6BKW for radio 2

Radio one's (IC-7410)  antennas are:
10m. A3S or HF9V
15m A3S or HF9V
20m. A3S or HF9V or 99% of the time used my new full wave Quad loop @ 35'
40m. Delta Loop @ 35'
80m. Elevated 80m Inverted L GP and raised radials
160m Inverted L, Gnd mounted and a mile of on/in ground radials.