[3830] WPX SSB NA8V SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 28 04:17:44 EDT 2016

CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: NA8V
Operator(s): NA8V
Station: NA8V

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: mi

  160:    -
   20: 1109
   15:  678
   10:    -

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Decided after the Russian contest and with the condx we've had this spring to
fire up the Raytrack that's been on display in the living room for the past
year.  First time running high power in a long, long time.  Ran a 240v line
down the hall to the shack, uncabled most of the station and thru it in.  It's
not a flamethrower (900-1000w) but an eyeopening difference.  Lost all my
flexibility in the re-cabling but that's not so much a factor in this contest.

Strategy was to mine 80 and 20, get what i could on 40 and run on 15 if it was
open.  Started out slowly the first night, then started realizing how good
condx were and tried to up the pace a bit.

Saturday morning 20 was good, went to 15 and it was better.  Was able to
sustain a run for a few hours.  It slowed down fairly early so dropped back to
20 late morning and ran until late afternoon.  Can't do that on LP fone, it was
great fun.  Had a brain malfunction Sat eve between pushing the wrong buttons on
the 590 and fatigue, thought i blew something up on 40 so ignored it for 80 -
which was quite good.  Also picked up some Asians prefixes over the pole on 20.
 Maybe not as fast as 40 stateside, but probably more points as I can't run EU
on 40 fone.  I did have 3 EU to come back to me on 7201 right before i quit for
the night.  :)

Sunday morning wasn't nearly as good as Sat.  20 was crowede and slow and 15
was quite poor, only a few stations - although some long haul around - so I
went back to 20 to grind it out.  Lost an hour late morning trouble shooting an
RFI issue.  When i did go back to 15 it was strange - but fun.  Very late EU+
opening, some very loud signals, contacts came in bunches and jumped around in
spotlight fashion.  Seemed like Es?  Also couldn't find a beam direction that
peaked signals, best seemed toward the north and that yielded the US, EU and
SA.  a fun opening although i maight have been an hour or two late.  Finished
up with a 125 hour on 40 with a nice sprinkling of VE's and a few SA for some
good points along with quite a few mults.

A fun experiment and a good end to a stretch of 5 cotests in 6 weeks, did
better than I thought I would and about as well as I hoped I might.  Now to
recable back to LP......

Thanks for all the contacts & 73,

greg/na8v