[3830] WPX SSB KT4ZB SO(A)AB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 28 10:59:52 EDT 2016

CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KT4ZB
Operator(s): KT4ZB
Station: KT4ZB

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: Savannah, GA

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

So much for Solar Cycle 24 and that wonderful 10m supply of contacts for small
low power stations. Two years ago I made 515 contacts resulting including 290
prefix mults on 10m; but this year 10m produced only 81 contacts and 38
prefixes. And, this years score was half of 2014. There were of few other
factors such as giving up Sunday prime time for Easter services, rain all
weekend including shutting down once for lighting and a uncooperative rotor
which told me when it would work instead of the other way around. We had so
much rain that the SWR on the tribander went to 2.95 at 14330 on 20m. Funny to
see the power meter read 34 watts instead of 96 or so.

That noted, WPX is always fun! Highlights include a 90 QSO hour on 40m with the
new 2 el antenna, finding VKs and Zls 20db over on 20m at 2 am, working VKs on
40m with just one call with the antenna pointed to JA, finding 10m on Sunday
afternoon deathly quiet with a few SA stations calling and then working them
with one call. It didn’t seem to make any difference where the antenna was
pointed on 10m as it came to life. Only EU/AF contacts were IR1E & CN2AA (5
bands) and heard a Sicily station that didn’t hear me. However, did work VK on
10m.

20 and 15m were a struggle with tons of repeats and some busted contacts. 20m
along with 40m were my money bands while 15m was disappointing. Both 15 and 20m
were struggling to open before I had to leave for church on Sunday so probably
missed some good points there. 80m was a pleasant surprise considering the
weather and I managed to work most of the big EU stations heard.

Thanks to everyone for the contacts and working to get my exchange. It's always
fun to meet fellow contesters during the weekend and I noted several of the
Phone Frays folks in the log. Also, thanks to CQ and the contest committee for
all their work and to my lovely bride for putting up with CQ calls late into
the night.

Best �" Jere

Yaesu FT1000MP MVK V, N1MM+, TH6-DXX, X-240 Yagi for plus dipoles for 40 &
80 meters