[3830] WPX SSB KK9A SOSB40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Mar 31 00:00:39 EDT 2016

CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KK9A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: KK9A

Class: SOSB40 HP
QTH: North Carolina

   40: 1600

While setting up the station I discovered that my power line noise level had
gotten worse since the last contest. It mostly effected the higher bands, so I
decided to operate single band 40m. It had been 18 years since I last operated
this category in WPX Phone and I really did not know what to expect until the
contest started. It seemed like everyone started on 40m as the band was
jam-packed. The interference from so many stations crowded into the small band
segment was intense. I worked many stations though the QRM and by the second
hour I got somewhat comfortable with the noise and I had my best rate of the
contest �" 118 QSOs per hour. I pushed hard both nights trying to work
every six point European station possible to maximize my score. Amazingly a few
EU stations even called me hours after their sunrise. Very early in the morning
on both days the QRM quieted down considerably and I was able to take advantage
of a nice quiet opening to Australia. I worked 51 stations in Australia and 6 in
New Zealand. For some reason I heard very little activity from Japan and only 23
JAs made it into my log all weekend. Around 50% of my contacts were with US
stations. Many were still calling me at a slow pace when I turned off the radio
at sunrise but it seemed to me that US activity was less than I expected on this
band. 40m never closed so operating the entire 36 hours would be very possible.
I enjoyed breakfast, a nap and I did a few things around the house during the
daytime. Sunday was Easter and there seemed to be no decline in activity from
the previous day. It was also my birthday so I took a little time midday to
open my presents with the XYL. WPX is a fun contest where anyone can be a rare
multiplier. Almost half of my contacts were multipliers. I would like to thank
everyone who worked me! Between the poor 40m conditions, QRN, QSB, QRM and
occasional mental blocks on my end, many stations had to repeat their callsign
or serial number multiple times to make a QSO. I really appreciate this extra
effort. This score breaks the old W4 40m record by a large margin. Please QSL
via WD9DZV.

73,
John KK9A
http://www.kk9a.com