[3830] FlQP K4N(K1TO) SOAB(A)Mixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 1 21:40:33 EDT 2016

Florida QSO Party

Call: K4N
Operator(s): K1TO
Station: K1TO

Class: SOAB(A)Mixed HP
QTH: MTE

   40:   240     70
   20:   617   1084
   15:   161     25
   10:     5      2
--------------------
Total:  1023   1181  CW Mults = 102  Ph Mults = 93  Total Score = 2,204

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

(1x1 score is just the QSO total)

Many thanks to Terry, N4TB for repairing a number of my items that were
slightly damaged by an apparent EMP from lightning.

Quite a step down from a year ago, when nearly half our QSOs were on 15 &
10!  This year it was less than 10%.

But always a fun weekend no matter what.  Thanks to both the regulars and the
first-timers who made the effort to get on!  Hoping to see a record number of
sweeps of the special event S-U-N stations.

What a hoot to work Ellen, W1YL, who was sitting in her place just up the road
in FL and operating remotely from NV!

Following the lead of several other 1x1s, I started to self-spot on Sunday.
The 1x1s are not in a competitive category, and much like the W1AW/ operations
of two years ago, the objective is to provide as many QSOs as possible, so
self-spotting even for us solo ops is fine for the 1x1s.  But I rarely use
spots and the shack computer is not Internet-ready, so it was a manual process.

Couldn't ever get anything going on 15 SSB, despite probably a dozen tries.  CW
was much more productive.  And 10 showed a few signs of life, but was not worth
the time.  OTOH, 20 SSB was a nearly bottomless well.

Was pleasantly surprised to have "MTE" understood 99% of the time on
CW!

When the K-index jumped to 4 later on Sunday, the usual rush of Europeans in
the last few hours slowed to a trickle (although several JAs were plenty
strong).

Next year will be the 20th running of the revived FQP and we are already
planning a lot of activity.  Please set aside April 29-30, 2017!

OJ & vy 73, Dan, K1TO