[3830] WPX CW KC7V(@K8IA) M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 29 21:58:57 EDT 2016

CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KC7V
Operator(s): K1YR KC7V K8IA
Station: K8IA

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: AZ

   40: 1084
   20: 1506

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

First, many thanks to Bob (K8IA) and Sandy (N7RQ) for hosting us for this
contest.  As usual the hospitality was fantastic and Sandy provided excellent
meals for us.  She is an excellent cook, artist, and contester.  We did not go
hungry and the meals are very tasty.  Thanks Sandy.

The ops this year were Bob K8IA, Lou K1YR and Mike KC7V.  We ran 4 hours on / 2
hours off for the weekend.  Based on predicted conditions, we were hoping for
3,000 to 3,500 QSOs and targeted 7 million points.  The first 24 hours were
pretty good despite the low solar flux but the bands were relatively quiet.
Not so the 2nd night.  Lots of QSB and QRN with a s7 noise on 40 meters.  We
lost QSOs with all the static but pushed through.  We concentrated hard on
getting 6 point QSOs in the log.  There were lots of dull times on the 2nd day
and some on the first.  JA runs were decent at times but not deep and no runs
to JA on Sunday.  There really wasn't any great EU runs either so we S&P'd
a lot.

Our QSO totals were similar to 2013 numbers but we had more mults and 6
pointers which resulted in us getting over the 9 million mark.  Lots of
activity everywhere and it was great to see.  We look forward to next year and
the challenges it will be with conditions deteriorating.

Equipment:
K3/Alpha 8400
Orion II/ Acom 1000
One tower system
3 el SteppIR @ 78 feet
3 el M2 40m yagi @ 70 feet
5 el 15 fixed JA @ 61 feet
Bencher Skyhawk @ 45 feet fixed 90 degrees east
1/4 wave 80m vertical
Shunt fed tower for 160
A couple of K9AY receive antennas
A DHDL receive antenna for JA that ended up being compromised with interference
so it was not used much.

Thanks for all the Q's.  We had a blast and now need rest.

Mike KC7V
Lou K1YR
Bob K8IA