[3830] WPX CW NA6O(@N6RO) M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 29 23:26:01 EDT 2016

CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: NA6O
Operator(s): N6RO N6BV NA6O N6WM WA6O K3EST N6NU
Station: N6RO

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Oakley, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Remote Operation

   20: 1536

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

How better to enjoy Memorial Day weekend than with a full-bore contest effort at
Radio Oakley? With sunspots flat-lining, propagation favored the low bands.
Earth's encounter with the solar wind resulted in unstable conditions during
some long stretches, helping to suppress scores everywhere. But we contesters
soldier on!

Just getting to the station was a nightmare on Friday afternoon, with WA6O
absorbing 3+ hours of traffic abuse. And WX5S had the fright of his life when
he got rear-ended in a hit-and-run on Wednesday.  Between traffic, work, and
family obligations, remote operation is clearly an advantage and the wave of
the future.

Bob, K3EST, did his usual iron-man operation and knocked it out of the park on
20 m. It clearly was our best band. Matt, WX5S, provided some relief and got to
enjoy nice rates in the middle of the night.

N6NU ran the 10 m station remotely beat the band into submission in spite of
conditons. Thanks for the perseverance, Andreas! NA6O and N6RO also helped out
when time allowed.

Dean, N6BV, also operated remotely on 15 m. What has usually a super band
turned into quite a slog for Dean. Chris, N6WM, manned his mighty FLEX 6700 and
finished off 15 m on Sunday.

Forty was a mixed bag with little EU action. Mike, WA6O, did his usual
outstanding job there.

Matt and Ken shared the duties on 160. Gary and Ken had been working to repair
the Beverages but ran out of time, so we remain a bit hearing-impaired. Still,
they more than doubled last year's QSOs.

Gary, NA6O, signed up for his favorite all-nighters on 80, and enjoyed
reasonably good conditions for this time of year, also doubling last year's
QSO.

Equipment: Six K3s, FLEX 6700/Maestro, Yagi stacks (40-10), four-squares
(160-40), wire quads (80), N1MM+

Thanks to all for the Qs. This was my first time having my callsign used in a
big M/M contest. Can't wait for the piles of QSLs to roll in... Thanks to Ken
for his hospitality, advice, and friendship.  CU guys in the All Asian contest,
next month.

Gary, NA6O