[3830] WPX CW 7S0X(SM0MDG) SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue May 31 03:26:11 EDT 2016

CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: 7S0X
Operator(s): SM0MDG
Station: SM0MDG

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Stockholm City

Even with a very limited (little pistol) station you can have lots of fun in
WPX!

This time I only had the opportunity to do a limited effort. I decided to play
around in the SO-LP Assisted category from my city apartment. I didn't expect
much from 15 watts into a simple mobile whip with an auto coupler on the rail
of my balcony, but I had fun and with a more serious effort the results should
be much better.

In about 12 not so efficient hours I was able to log 158 QSOs. I went to the
radio in bursts for as longs as my 18 months daughter would allow me. Of the
158 Qs 10 where DX and the longest distance bridged was 8000 km. Almost every
contact was a prefix which is natural in WPX.

Having a "good" prefix is key and helps running, especially in a CW
contest where even the weakest signals generate RBN spots. I haven't been using
my rather unique "7S" prefix for a while, but it came to good use now
and this helped in my micro run sessions. Usually a new run would generate 3-4
Qs after the first RBN spot, then I went off to S&P again.

My focus was on 20 and 40 meter using two different mobile whips on the
balcony, manually replacing them when doing band switches. The 20m whip tuned
with the LDG RT-100 coupler helped hook some mults on 10 and 15m. My apparent
building is low and surrounded by other buildings in almost all directions.
There is a small opening in SW which helps, but most DX directions are
obstructed. This weekend I was experiencing quite low man made noise on 20m
(S3) but higher on 40m (S7) which might explain the lower QSO count on 40.

I was using the SunSDR2 PRO SDR transceiver barefoot with about 15-20 watts
output. The panadapter provided a great overview. CW skimmer was hooked up to
skim the two bands of the independent receivers. N1MM was hooked to CAT and to
the telnet server (for spots) to ExpertSDR2, the SunSDR control software. In
addition I played with overlaying RBN spots on the waterfall which is a really
nice feature (example and info here: www.sunsdr.eu/expertsdr2-update-2/).
Everything was running on a HP Laptop creating a small but efficient contest
station in the home office.

To compare the experience I was also logging a few Qs using SE0X controlled via
remote. See separate log entry/3830 report.

73!