[3830] WPX CW NA8V SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue May 31 12:49:16 EDT 2016

CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: NA8V
Operator(s): NA8V
Station: NA8V

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Mi

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Condx not so good here.  Down in QSOs, avg point/q and mults.

Interesting skip dept:  Ran mostly W1 with some 2's sprinkled in Sunday early
afternoon.  loud, sounded like Es?

It was noisy all weekend on all bands.  A train of thunderstorms passed nearby
to me both days.  On Sat, got severe precipitation static from the rain - after
the rain passed it got quite windy for a bit and the static was even worse.
Couldn't copy anything when this all started so took an hour off.  Sunday
another batch of storms took basically the same track.  This time i got no rain
but the QRN was s9 with peaks to +20, couldn't hear so took some more time off.
This was on 15 and 20, it's rare to have qrn like that on the high bands around
here.  I had debated during the contest about saving some off time for the end.
 As condx seemed to be improving and late afternoon can be very productive this
time of year i opted to get the sleep Sat night - in hindsight a mistake as I
ended up short time from the weather.

While rough at times, there was always someone to work somewhere so it never
got boring.

another fun WPX!

Thanks for the contacts,
greg/na8v