[3830] WPX CW K9CT M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue May 31 16:22:10 EDT 2016

CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: K9CT
Operator(s): N5AC N9TK K3WA K9ZO N9CK N7MB K9CT
Station: K9CT

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: IL

   20: 1716

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

What a difference a year makes! We were zapped by two types of
storms...solar/geomagnetic and thunderstorms with lots of lightning. We
expected the high bands to be down with lower SFI/SS but the absorption made
signals weak or not there at all to EU and JA. Lots of QSB that made copying
weak signals difficult. We had several thunderstorms move through the area that
caused high QRN levels. We kept on operating no matter what but it was not easy.

We had a great team assembled and as usual enjoyed each others company. Good
food and teamwork on the bands makes for a successful weekend.

Some antenna issues remain until we get the repairs made from the Dec. 28, 2015
ice and wind damage. We were without the top 40m yagi and the top DB42. The 80m
4 square had a high SWR show up Friday night and we used a dipole that was just
put up on Friday.

We used the FlexRadio 6700/6500 with Maestros. No problems at all with them.
Steve, N5AC was here to do S&P and also take notes on radio performance.
Several operators had not used Flex before and took to the interface easily.

All in all we had fun and worked everyone we could hear. This contest format is
a lot of fun and we enjoy working everyone.