[3830] WPX CW N5RZ SOSB40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue May 31 20:16:37 EDT 2016

CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: N5RZ
Operator(s): N5RZ
Station: N5RZ

Class: SOSB40 HP
QTH:

   40: 1136

Club: Midland Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

Got wind some very capable W5 call area stations were going 40M single band, so
figured I'd best get on and try to defend my record set back in 1985.  Got up a
2 el yagi (Force 12 Magnum 240N) at 110' in late October 2015, but due to
conflicts, have yet to try it out in a serious DX competition. It has seemed to
work quite well over the past few months, so I cleaned out this weekend of
conflicts & it was off to the races!

Lots of thunderstorms in the area made for some pretty nasty static crashes the
first day, which cleared up about EU sunrise.  The JA and Pacific activity was
quite good and my last QSO was about 2 hours after my sunrise.  Static crashes
the second night were not as bad and the EU condx were much better.  The JA's
the second morning, while generally loud, were quite fluttery and had a lot of
QSB.  Static crashes got somewhat worse approaching my sunrise.  In general, a
very good weekend IMHO.

Pet peeve: QRQ EU stations giving cut numbers and who refuse to slow down -
sure doesn't work out too well thru the static crashes - lots of repeats
needed.

Summary  ---> 505 6 pointers  75 4 pointers and 556 1 pointers (Thanks
USA!)

Station:  Elecraft K3, P3, SPE Expert 2K-FA amp, Force 12 Magnum 240N 2 el yagi
@ 110'rotary,  Cushcraft D40 trap dipole @ 50' fixed E/W   WX0B Stackmatch  and
N1MM+ logging software.

Thanks to all for the QSO's to allow me to break my 31 year old call area
record - hope I did "good enough"!!

73,  Gator