[3830] CQWW SSB D4C M/S LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 1 10:38:18 EDT 2016

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: D4C
Operator(s): DF7ZS HB9DUR IZ4DPV SQ9D SQ9CNN SQ9UM
Station: D4C

Class: M/S LP
QTH: Monteverde

  160:   44    12       41
   80:  323    23       78
   40:  676    28      102
   20: 1679    34      140
   15: 2808    34      149
   10: 1146    30      118

Club: Italian Contest Club

Comments:

Every contest participation is a challenge, and from D4C station is no exception
as well.
This year Murphy visited us already in the organization process having two team
members to be absent due to small surgeries that did not enable them to come. We
wish them good recovery.

The team was composed by 3 OM that already successfully took part in the CQ WPX
SSB:
DF7ZS Helmut, SQ9D Piotr, SQ9CNN Rafal as guest op and HB9DUR Andrea and IZ4DPV
Massimo as D4C crew.
New entry was SQ9UM Alex that in a matter of a second entered with ease into
Monteverde feeling.

IZ4DPV, SQ9D and SQ9UM arrived on Monday and started station checks and
preparation work outside and inside the shack. The generator was tested and
each Momobean antenna verified with analyser.
The weather was still dry and with the typical outstanding view from Monteverde
mountain. Tuesday was the day of beverages and Inband antennas. So far so good.
On Wednesday work continued and some activity was made signing as D4Z. In the
late afternoon HB9DUR arrived along with DF7ZS.
Those guys brought bad weather and it started to rain.
Thursday was station cabling and testing. With heavy rains ongoing life became
difficult and the road to Monteverde started degenerating.
On Friday we were thinking that Murphy was ready to knock our door again as the
road conditions deteriorated further and that whole competition was at risk.
Anyway, this was the hot test day with all equipment ready for the fight but
after some time of work the generator stopped without apparent working .Murphy
eventually came without knocking. We tried several times to having it back
without success.
This lead to an unexpected and forced category change into MS low power. This
was very unfortunate because the situation of the other competitors in Z33
would had led to an interesting game on cqcontest.net although we discovered
later that nobody of them was on.

The whole team did not lose motivation, actually it was just the contrary: A
new target was set. To get the 2015 year World record MS LP achieved by FY5KE.
Additionally, it was a wish of the team to get more entries. So above our
declared.
D4C was on the board since the beginning but practically alone apart the first
few hours with WP3C.

As post contest comment, we could just copy-paste Herve F5HRY last’s year
comment on 3830: Terrible on low bands with 100W, extremely difficult to work
some multipliers and our wire inband antenna fed with 100W sometimes was trying
to do miracles (thanks to the operators).
Luckily 15m was our go band tough an Saturday was way better than on Sunday.

We will provide more insight in our next newsletter including some interesting
pictures. To join the newsletter subscribe here
http://d4c.us12.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=669cf19ca483f248630249aaa&id=8b892738ce

I take the opportunity to introduce our e-commerce page that enables us to rise
founds for a local program in Mindelo: www.shop.d4c.cc

Needless to say, we are thankful for the determination of our Guest Operators
Friends that helped D4C to do something new.

A note must be said to our antenna park as well. Momobeam antennas are still
performing well after 19 months of heavy weather conditions (see results...).
We are proud to deliver the D4C harsh environment location for field test to
serious companies (and friends).

Best 73's and CU in the next one

Andrea HB9DUR (one of D4C - Monteverde contest club)
You call, We answer