[3830] CQWW SSB N4TZ/9 SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 1 18:39:26 EDT 2016

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N4TZ/9
Operator(s): N4TZ
Station: N4TZ/9

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IN

  160:   30     8       13
   80:   90    19       50
   40:  105    21       49
   20:  244    25       80
   15:  186    24       62
   10:  109    16       43
------------------------------
Total:  764   113      297  Total Score = 822,870

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Boy, I seem to be really "snake-bitten" this year!
I thought my prop-pitch rotor problem (it ended up pointing
in the wrong direction in IARU, and was intermittant for
a while afterward) was resolved, but Friday afternoon it
ended up pointing about 120 degrees off, and then it wouldn't
respond at all to the controller.   So, out to the tower with
a 12 volt battery to turn it back to EU, where the top 20 &
40 meter antennas sat parked for the weekend.  Shortly after
the contest began, I found that the lower shorty-forty on
the ring-rotor had no signals at all.  Frequent switching on
the antenna switch control for 40 resulted in it starting to
work about 0315, and it continued to work the first night.
The second night it never worked, so I got some more sleep.

After the contest I found that mice had chewed the control
cable to the 40m switch box.  Replacing the cable and moving
the box out of the wiring cabinet onto the base of the tower
fixed the problem with the lower 40 antenna.  I have ordered
a new prop-pitch controller so will see if that fixes that
problem.

I was unable to string up my second 160 m vertical in the
SE direction because the new tower (still barren of antennnas)
is in the way.  My substitute second antenna is to the SW
of my existing  tower and seemed to never play competitively.
The tower and antennas provide a fair amount of directivity
on 160, and probably some gain.  I could definitely see
the Canadians much weaker on the SW antenna.

My wife's computer developed some problems about the time
of the Windows 10 deadline.  Even though she still has
Windows 7 64 bit, it seems to run much much slower now.
A complete reinstall to initial condition resulted in
like-new performance, but over the ensuing weeks as
Windows performed its automatic updating the performance
got even worse.  So, my laptop computer which I was using
to record the contest now sits on her desk.  Fortunately,
I didn't make the top three so that was not a problem 8^)

                            2016 CQ-WW-SSB N4TZ
                                 Continent List

                    160    80    40    20    15    10    ALL
                    ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---    ---
      USA calls =     2     2     1     1     1     3     10
   Canada calls =    16    23    11    22     5     2     79
       NA calls =     6    18    27    41    51    34    177
       SA calls =     3    16    21    37    61    59    197
     Euro calls =     1    15    25   123    40     3    207
  African calls =     2    10    12    11    18     7     60
    Asian calls =     0     0     0     2     0     0      2
    Japan calls =     0     0     0     6     0     0      6
    Ocean calls =     0     6     8     2    11     2     29

    Total calls =    30    90   105   245   187   110    767