[3830] SS CW N1CC Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 6 21:07:45 EST 2016

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N1CC
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: N1CC

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: North Texas

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Station:  Elecraft K3/100 @ 5 Watts output.  Force 12 C3 @64', 80/40 Fan Dipole
@50', 160M Inverted L with Elevated Verticals (Used on 40 Meters, no 160)
WriteLog V12.09F for logging.  Use of Internet WX map to keep aware of storms.

Interesting weekend.  Conditions unusually long and quieter than they have
been.  Very difficult to work stations within 700 miles on any band.  Thought a
"Sweep" was in the cards, then never heard Nebraska during the event.
Quit 4-hours early due to Thunderstorms moving overhead just before Sunday 00Z
time.  Worked multiple usually hard sections like NT, AK, NL.

This was an alligator event.  Many of the normally well-hearing big guns could
not here most QRP callers, and seemed also to have trouble with 100W folks.

The pattern of poor operating, reported here last year, where the big guns
"seem" to seek out the QRP folks running to take over their space.
Moving to within 100 Hz and opening that KW+ and pretending they cannot hear
you, but you have already worked them ... so it does appear to be OCD behavior,
and needs to stop.

There used to be an unwritten rule that Multi's and Big Cannons stayed below
the 60 kHz marker and let the LP and QRP folks intermingle with the digital
folks and foreign SSB stations.  That really seemed to a sort-of gentleman-type
unwritten rule.  I think the contest committee should put that in writing
soon... because when you are beteen the PSK gang and the JT65 troops your 5W or
100W is not an intrusive activity, the 1.5KW and other powers is a real
problem.

As far as Alligators are concerned, here is short list:  K5KG, W1SRD, NR5M,
K6RC, K4FT, and NX6T - all documented on the MP3 files.  All were called and
asked to move after dropping down on my puny run signal and either could not
hear me or pretended not too in a shabby manner.  Oh, I know most of those
calls are in the "Royalty Group" - which frankly, does not matter.

I had fewer fills to supply this year, and noted a lot more "Q" class
stations were on and active.  about 80% of my contacts did not ask for a fill --
so QRP does work.

Overall 15M was not as good for me as last year as was 80M too.  20M made up
for some of the rate and the QSO's were only down 17% from last year's WGD
winning score with one fewer Section - Oh where have the Cornhuskers gone?