[3830] SS CW K7XC SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 6 23:04:22 EST 2016

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K7XC
Operator(s): K7XC
Station: K7XC

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: NV - DM09jh

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Had some operator malfunctions at the start of the contest with the keying
interface not setup as well as the SS CW macros in N1MM+ not being installed
ahead of time. Took most of the first hour to get all that straightened out.
Much better conditions than the CQ WW DX CW just a week earlier. Loud signals
on 15-80M Saturday night. Sunday started out very busy with good conditions on
15/20M. 2 hours before sunset 40M was booming but as the skies darkened the
bands grew very noisy making it almost impossible to find new contacts. I
stopped with an hour to go as I couldn't carry on. My Sweep occurred around 11
AM Sunday leaving the rest of the day focused solely on running rate as best I
could. Thanks to the large number of QRP stations who called in, most of them
had very good signals to boot! The time and effort I spent before the contest
to get the 20M yagi tuned and installed was so worth it as I was able to hold
my 20M run frequency almost all of Sunday! I haven't felt that loud in a very
long time. SS CW as always doesn't disappoint! The station here is still
evolving in size and effectiveness. Inspired by a picture on an Italian QSL
card, I redid the entire station integration which made operating much more
enjoyable. Used an aging IC-746 that needs to be retired from contest service,
700W from an AL-80B into the following antennas: 4 ele 10M Yagi at 30', 3 ele
15M yagi at 25', 3 ele 20M yagi at 43', 40/80M inv Vee at 39'. Many thanks to
Timba - NS9E for the gift of an AB-577 Antenna Mast which allowed putting the
Monobanders back up and raising the low band antennas back to 40 feet high
again. See you all in 2 weeks for SS CW.