[3830] SS CW N8XX Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 6 23:10:45 EST 2016

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N8XX
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: MICHGAN

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Ineresting propagation.  Didn't get started unti about 0200Z, and both 40 and 80
were long, and absorption was high.  Managed 8 Q's in about two hours, and gave
up.  Tried a bit around 1000Z, but 80 and 40 were still long, and absorption
high, so made a few contacts, and went back to bed.

Next chance to get on was ad 1948, and first station I heard on 15 was VO1MP,
and HE HEARD ME!  Yup, I was in cloud 9.  Managed 17 Q's, and then I decided to
pull up steaks and set up along the North Country National Scenic trail for a
combo SS and National Parks On The Air activation.  40 was great guns, I even
made a run of about 20 Q's in about 30 minutes - worked several Mad River ops,
and did some PR with hikers and bikers along the trail.  Probably could have
had more contacts if Public Relations for Ham Radio and the National Park
Service hadn't be a high priority. The average non-ham was amazed that I could
contact in Maine, Arkansas, Montana, and points in between with such a small
rig.  And, all but one of he passers-by didn't realize that this part of the
State Park Linear Trail was also a part of a National Park!  I figured that at
2200Z I should be packing up and leaving, because the park/trail theoretically
closes at dusk.

Took a break for dinner and recharge of personal batteries, and at 0100 decided
to make one last try.  Did S&P for first 1/2 hour, then, just for the fish
(halibut) I started calling CQ low in the band.  Had a run of 23 in 42 minutes,
not bad for QRP on 80 when it was rather "Long".

All in all, I coulda done better had I had more "stick to itiveness",
but it was fun while it lasted.

Tnx to all who pulled out my signal......