[3830] SS CW KP2M(W2GD) Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 7 13:20:43 EST 2016

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: KP2M
Operator(s): W2GD
Station: KP2M

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: St. Croix

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

K3 SO1R 5w + Win-Test Software
Station Description:  Check out the www.RadioReef.com website for complete
information on the station's three antenna laden towers and other rental
property amenities.  This QTH is very XYL friendly.

Arrived on St. Croix late Thursday.  The skies were threatening more rain and
t-storms.  That evening the sky was ablaze with Elmo's Fire and about 1 a.m. it
took out the internet connection for about 9 hours.  This happened again lat
Friday afternoon, an 11 hour outage.  Fortunately Saturday and Sunday were
mostly rain and t-storm free.

Station setup went fairly well with some critical assistance from go-to guy
N6TV.  Bob is a walking Win-Test and K3 encyclopedia and easily got me through
two config issues that had me stumped.  TNX AGAIN OM!

Wow what a difference a year can make.  The decline in sunspots is undeniable.
 During the 2015 SS CW ten meters was open nationwide the first few hours, this
time stone dead.  Fifteen meters was the default band to start on from the
Carib, but after just an hour or so the signs of the MUF dropping like a stone
was self-evident.  Even the twenty meter opening was short-lived, and virtually
closed an hour after sunset.  I suppose we should all be getting better prepared
for the 'new normal' as the cycle continues downward.

The adrenaline was freely flowing the first hour.  Put 105 QRP contacts in the
log on 15M that hour which would be the high for the weekend. This was followed
by a 75 hour on 2OM and two hours later an 80 hour on 40M.  But the reality of
QRP operation returned ... with rates in the 40 to 60 an hour being the norm
until about 2100 Sunday afternoon when it all winds down to very slow rates in
the 10 to 20 range.  Fortunately being a semi-rare section this year, it was
possible to CQ nearly 90 percent of the time.

By the time my first scheduled off period rolled around at 0800 UTC, the only
sections missing were DE, EWA and VE6.   VY1AAA was easily worked on 40 meters
- the new V-beam for 40 was very loud down south.  Fellow QRPer VE6EX gave me
the sweep Sunday morning.

Many thanks to Philip, KT3Y, for again providing the KP2M station for my use
once this year.   And I must thank my XYL Elaine, KB2ERI, for understanding why
I need to go do these things ... and being supportive.

Now on to CQWW CW from P40W and then this winter's 160 meter contests from our
SNJ salk marsh this winter.

73,

John W2GD @ KP2M