[3830] SS CW VE4GV SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 7 23:02:55 EST 2016

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: VE4GV
Operator(s): VE4GV
Station: VE4GV

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MB

Club: Radiosport Manitoba

Comments:

My first SO HP assisted effort from this QTH.
The combination of new feedlines for the KT34XA, 40-2-CD and 80/160 Sloper seem
to have solved a lot of my neighbor RFI/TVI problems . (Or maybe after 30
years...and watching some of them leave...the new neighbors put up with it
!)Anyway, ran the 1.3K-FA full output the whole weekend without a peep. (That
is one SWEET amp)  Quite astonishing actually, after 25+ years of either using
LP or KW ONLY for ATNO DX...being able to use HP in a test with no "phone
call".  The trade-off appears to be the horrendous increase in digital
noise that now plagues most urban hams and make sit hard to hear, especially on
the low bands.

The only problems I had were: (1) RF into the MK2R+ on 40 HP requiring PC
reboot (2) Writelog Bandmap issues with Win 7 MK2R+ TS990S. Bandmap initially
displays OK but keeps turning white and crashing Writelog after only a few
moments...have to reboot again.  Finally gave up the idea of bandmap and used
packet text display only. :-(

First few hours were fun. Rates around 90-100/hr on 20 m which is great for SS.
3rd hour was 50 and then dropped to 30 by hr 4. Lots of sports activity on Sat
evening with both the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (CFL) and Winnipeg Jets (NHL)
playing. Kinda lost interest and decided to catch the games for an hour.

Got back on 80 and was surprised at how I could still work a 30-40 hour for
0200-0400 before QRT for night.
Sunday 1600 again saw 100/hr on 20m.  Tried to go to 15M  but rate wasn't
there...back to 20 where I did 40-50/hr for the next 6 hrs. Finished on 80
trying to mop up.

My apologies to N1DC who I apparently missed(after initially answering his CQ)
with 30 mins to go for a Sweep. He heard me 579 but even with the loop, the city
noise is brutal and I couldn't pull him in.  I owe ya a beer....at least!

Off to VE6SV for SS SSB ...where I PROMISE you I will hear A LOT better.

Hope everyone also worked VE4EA and VE4VT (the other active VE4s).

One glaring hole in SS CW was missing Ed VE4YU (SK this past year), who not
only had the reputation for SS CW "Golden Log" (No errors)but was
coveted for his "S&P" only SS CW strategy that brought a joyful
surprise gift to the SS needy. Miss ya OM.

Lastly...I have one observation/comment:
What is the point of the Assisted Category for SS? I can see it for DX
tests...with all the band mults. But WTF? There are only 83 mults
If you KNOW the calls/states...or have a "cheat sheet" that tells you
XXXX is in Wy or NNY or SD or ONN...what is the point?  Click 83 times and you
have a Sweep. (Yawn) Where's the challenge? Where is the skill acquired in
listening/ picking out those weak ones as you scan the band? How do we use SS
to make BETTER OPS if we reduce this test to a digital point and click fest.  I
don't get it.  I guess the busted band map function forced me to think about
this. Frankly, I HATE the idea of assisted SS, especially CW.

I know it will be unpopular but in a contest where (1) you can only work a
station once and (2) there are only 83 mults....what's the advantage of packet
spotting for SS? Does it help the contest, really? Will it help us creat a
better class of contester?

I can tell you one thing, most of the great ops that I see in this test (the
ones with the 50/60/70  Cks) didn't get that way using packet. They LISTENED!
And they CAN work you easily (even if you are weak and sending that looong
exchange) cuz they have GREAT ears.

See you in SS SSB

Rob VE4GV

Rob VE4GV