[3830] SS CW K3KU Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Nov 18 15:35:09 EST 2016

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 23:30

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Very busy here at home (good things).  Squeezing in time to post this now.

Disappointing. After K3UA whomped me last year in the 100W/dipole Class he
kindly let me have his log so I could figure out if I was doing something
wrong.  I made a couple of operating adjustments -- band selection, and more
emphasis on S&P and doing it better -- and he whomped me even worse this
year.

I think the noise here on low bands is really bad.  At one point I got a short
80M run of Class A callers from W1, W2, etc. who were barely above the noise.
It took many repeats to pull through the 80M QSO from N0AX, even knowing his
Class and Section a priori.  And later in the week K2PBS -- one block away;
works, inter alia, 75M Europeans; always listens to me contesting but never
gives me a QSO -- said that on 40M and 80M I was answering stuff he couldn't
hear.

I found runners in the two Sections I missed -- NE and EWA, of course -- but
they could not hear me in the unruly pileups.  (One of them QRT, and I don't
blame him.  One California multi-op was particularly offensive, calling and
calling while the "DX" was already sending.)

Oh, well.  another year to contemplate the error of my ways.  In about 27 hours
it will be Saturday night, and I expect to be QRV SS SSB.

Thanks for the QSOs.  CU SS CW 2017.