[3830] SS CW W4AAA(KK9A) Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Nov 19 00:00:57 EST 2016

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W4AAA
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: W4AAA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: North Carolina

I flew home earlier in the week from Aruba and did not have a chance to unpack
the luggage until Saturday morning. My Elecraft K3S and radio peripherals were
also in the luggage. So, I woke up early on Saturday morning to unpack and set
up the radio and computer for this CW contest. Everything was working perfectly
and I was able to enjoy a relaxing late lunch with my XYL on Saturday afternoon.
I started the contest on 20m and I was pleasantly surprised when my good friend
AE6Y called me for QSO #1. The first 4 hours had very good rates on 20m and 40m
and then suddenly the skip went long and the whole eastern half of the US seemed
to disappear. I switched  to 80m, I had not planned to use this band much and
did not have time to install my temporary Beverages. Luckily the band was in
great condition and reasonably quiet without the receive antennas. The rates on
80m were surprisingly good and I made almost as many QSOs on 80m as I did on
40m. Nearly all of the sections called me early in the contest, even VI was
easy to work when my St Croix pal K9VV called me. I luckily found VY1AAA in NT
on 40m early while looking for a clear frequency and he was very easy to
work.The last section that I needed was Delaware. I was sweating it out until
finally on Sunday morning NW3Y in Delaware called me on 40m. It is always a
wonderful feeling to get the sweep! Sunday afternoon rates got pretty slow and
I was tired but I toughed it out until I ran out of op time. Conditions were
good considering the lack of sunspots and I was amazed that 8% of my contacts
were with stations running only 5 watts. Thanks for the QSOs. Please QSL via
WD9DZV.

73,
John KK9A �" W4AAA
http://www.w4aaa.com