[3830] SS SSB NN3W Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 20 22:22:36 EST 2016

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: NN3W
Operator(s): NN3W KL2A
Station: NN3W

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: VA

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was a last minute operation.  Was supposed to operate from N4RV for Sweeps
phone, but owing to -nasty- QRN from power line noise near his house, we
decided to scratch.  So, I could either rake leaves all weekend or play radio.
Since KL2A was in town, we decided to do a multi-single effort -> true
multi-single.

One radio, two operators.  No SO2R, no splitters, no coax stubs, and no idea
how we were supposed to do this contest.  In fact, this is the first time I've
ever done a multi-op effort from the home QTH.

We were worried about 80 meters since 40 and 80 have been going long early, so
we put up a cloud warmer dipole at 1600z.  We had it up and operational by
1800z.  It worked!

Rough start.  Could not get traction on 20 - at all.  Fumbled around until we
found our groove on 40.  Had some good runs on 40 and 80.  Not much doing on 20
- especially since I don't have a single yagi on the property - all dipoles or
wire loop antennas.  Oh, how I'd love even a tribander with a bit of gain on 15
and 20.

Anyhow, enjoyed the sweep.  Worked states like NT, MS, ND, and MS pretty early
on.  Last three mults were PR (found on 15), HI (WH7W), and then AK (nasty
pileup).