[3830] SS SSB WX3B Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 21 10:07:41 EST 2016

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 13:03

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Well now....that was a fun part-time event!!

It helps having my good friend Bill, K3WI running a parallel operation to keep
me motivated....

During a parallel operation it is necessary for one person to be on an
"off" band while the other is on the best band...and since my plan
was to operate all day and most of the night Sunday, I made sure Bill had first
choice of bands.

Amazingly, my warnings about how terrible 15 meters would likely be turned out
to be false.  I started out on that band and managed to work almost 36 sections
on it in the few hours I was active.  There was some good backscatter up and
down the east coast, and the mid-west and west coast was booming. It was a
relaxing, yet productive pace....

After a nice dinner break, I returned to 40m and found that band in excellent
condition.  Based on most of the scores I have seen, it may be that 40m was a
better producer than 80 was this year.

When Bill retired for the evening - early - I jumped on 80 and rode it for all
it was worth.

Got back on 80 starting at 7:30am Sunday morning after a nice break, and still
found it productive for over an hour.  Went to 40....to 15....then to 20....and
that's when things really slowed down.

Decided that after 13 hours, enough was enough, I had my fun, and it was time
to return home to the urban location and enjoy a cozy fire and family time.

Did anyone see K4OV's 40 meter total of over 1,000 QSOs???  That IS a magic
trick - what a GREAT job...and a QSO total near 2,000.  Amazing.

I can't believe I missed NL...I never even heard them when they were spotted on
the bands I was running...no sweep for me this year.

Still...about as good as it gets in 13 hours.
Best holiday wishes to all, and here's hoping CQWW CW is fun!

73,

Jim   WX3B