[3830] SS SSB K8CC Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 21 15:25:33 EST 2016

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K8CC
Operator(s): K8CC KE8OC W8RF WD8S
Station: K8CC

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: MI

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Another fun year in SS Phone.  After two weeks of getting the station ready to
go, we were shooting for a bigger score.  But with the same equipment/antennas,
and mostly the same crew, we finished slightly behind our 2015 claimed score.

But here in the midwest, 2016 was very much a different contest from 2015.
Last year, we had triple-digit QSO counts on both 15 and 10, mostly from
running the west coast during Sunday afternoon.  This year, 10 was completely
dead and 15 didn't have much activity at all.  As a result, we had big numbers
on 20/40/80 so that our breakdown looks more like what is expected from W8.

Sunday morning, we only needed PAC, AK & PR for a sweep.  While tuning
around, I found a WP4 someone he had answered.  I flipped to the SE yagi and
when they were finished, I blurted out his call and "up five please!"
which usually doesn't work.  But this time it did, and shortly thereafter
completed the QSO on a dead quiet 14348 KHz and mult #81 was in the log.

That left just PAC and AK.  We had heard WH7W a couple of times during the
night on 40 working people he had called, but we could never get his attention.
 A couple hours after the WP4QSO, while tuning around on 15M I heard WH7W answer
someone.  Would the trick work again?  When they finished I blurted out
"WH7W up five please!" and he acknowledged.  Thankfully, up five was
clear and mult #82 was in the log.

#83 was a little different.  While tuning around, Mike/WD8S found an AK station
with a sizable pileup.  After a few calls, we had our sweep.

The lesson here: after working most of the section mults by running, our last
three didn't come from packet or skimmer spots, but good old-fashioned spinning
of the VFO dial and an operator listening patiently.

My thanks to the all-MRRC crew who traveled here and operated the station.
Thanks for your efforts and a fine job!

Thanks also to all the participants for the QSOs!

73, Dave, K8CC