[3830] SS SSB N0JK Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 22 22:23:24 EST 2016

ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N0JK
Operator(s): N0JK
Station: N0JK

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: KS

Total:   3  Sections = 3  Total Score = 18

Originally not planned any contest operation as busy watching grandchildren and
helping my mom with home repairs. My dad W0FN has ALS and is in a nursing home.
I was cleaning in her basement and dusting off his old Heath gear. I decided to
fire up his old SB-102 and see if I could make a few contest Qs Sunday
afternoon. His antenna is a 40 M dipole in the attic. I could only receive
signals on 20M, and only get a few watts out on 20. I was able to reach 3
people to put in the log. He is unable now to talk or write due to the ALS
(also known as Lou Gehrig's disease) to help me figure out his set up. He had
it working better before he became ill.