[3830] CQWW CW K5AF SOAB Classic LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 27 20:38:22 EST 2016

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K5AF
Operator(s): K5AF
Station: K5AF

Class: SOAB Classic LP
QTH: TX, USA

  160:    8     5        7
   80:   47    13       36
   40:  148    19       59
   20:  153    22       65
   15:  101    19       48
   10:   41    11       23

This was brutal!!!  Average signal strength across the bands seemed to be about
2 S-units below normal propagation levels.  Many stations (including mine) were
barely above the noise level.  I truly appreciate all of you who dug deep to
pull me through!

Because of the signal levels, the noise level became a much greater factor.  I
noticed noise on the bands that hadn't really been much of a factor before.
I'll need to do some work on the DTV boxes.

Despite horrible rates, it still was fun.  Openings on 10M and 15M always
seemed tenuous, and required aggressive operating to make the best of them.

High points were the low band sunset conditions to Europe.  The only decent
rates that I was able to obtain were on 40M were the hour or so before and
after sunset both days.  The best treat was on 80M right after sunset, working
9A, OK, HG, YT, HG, OM, and S5 in rapid succession.  Not bad with LP from South
Texas.

Low points were the small numbers of workable signals on the bands compared to
the last two years.  This is not likely to change...can you say Maunder
minimum?