[3830] CQWW CW N9TF SOSB(A)/80 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 27 21:56:01 EST 2016

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N9TF
Operator(s): N9TF
Station: N9TF

Class: SOSB(A)/80 LP
QTH: IL

   80:  27     10       13
Total:  27     10       13  Total Score = 1,449

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Daytime operating was out of the question this weekend due to other activities.
Decided to do SB 80m to help increase my needed challenge fills on that band.
It was rough going. I knew EU would be a challenge for me on this band, but I
was not expecting conditions to the Caribbean and SA to be as bad as they were.
I was a bit optimistic Friday night as my noise level on 80 was relatively
quiet, at about an S7 level, and no neighborhood QRN for a change.  I worked
two ZF stations and a VE3 Friday night for all my labors, and pulled the plug
around 11pm as I was just not being heard. The piles were pretty thick,
especially on the stations that were spotted. 100 watts and and a dipole at 35'
was no match with all the high power stations and the "CONSTANT"
callers! Rolled out of bed Saturday morning just before sunrise and was able to
work HI and BC, but nothing else. Saturday night spent lots of time tuning
looking for DX I could hear. Relied a lot on spots. Worked a few more, but it
was a struggle once again. I was able to get on about 2 hours before the end of
the contest Sunday. I think sunset conditions today to EU were the best of the
three sunsets as I was actually able to hear and work as many stations tonight
as I did Friday and Saturday night combined! Most of my 5.5 hours on were spent
either tuning looking for DX or trying to bust a pile for a long time. I may
have to try a couple of full size 1/4 slopers on 80, one firing NE and the
other SE. I used to have one up a long time ago to the NE and it seemed to do
real well.

See you all in ARRL 160 next week.

73 Gene N9TF

Operating conditions: K3S/P3 100 watts, 40/80 short dipole at 35', N1MM+
logger.