[3830] CQWW CW P49Y(AE6Y) SOAB Classic HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 28 07:42:23 EST 2016

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: P49Y
Operator(s): AE6Y
Station: P49Y

Class: SOAB Classic HP
QTH: Aruba

  160:  109    11       23
   80:  264    18       56
   40:  555    23       75
   20: 1405    28       86
   15: 1060    22       78
   10:  292    13       25

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I've enjoyed the Classic version of CQWW for the past two years (2014 in CW and
2015 in Phone), and decided to continue the mini-tradition this year.  It is so
civilized, compared to the all-weekend grind, and doesn't leave you wasted for
the next few days.  This year conditions were very much below those of 2014,
and my score is down about 10% from that year.  Mults are way down, primarily
due to limited 10 meters, while Qs are up, as long NA runs substituted for some
of the DXing that wasn't possible this year.  For example, here are the QSO,
country, and zone totals for 2014 on 10-15-20: 880/78/28, 971/92/34, 664/80/36.
 And for 2016: 292/25/13, 1066/78/22, 1428/86/28.

In 2014, my family was with me for Thanksgiving, so I basically just worked the
first 24 hours of the contest.  This time I spread out operating time more,
leaving about 8 hours for the second day of the contest.  That was designed to
try to sample some different propagation on the high bands (e.g., in the vain
hope that 10 would open up to EU on Sunday, which it never did) and to stay off
the low bands on Saturday night, except for brief attempts at mult hunting, to
concentrate on higher rate hours on 15 and 20.

On the plus side, the noise levels were very low here, and it was not hard to
hear guys calling.  And not a single frequency fight in the whole contest!

Congratulations to John (W2GD), P40W, and Alex (KU1CW), P40C, for fine efforts
from Aruba.  Surely no one can have failed to work us this weekend (except for
all the Asians and Pacific stations that I never heard, let alone worked). We
had a lovely Thanksgiving dinner together, also with Cris (P43C) and
Jean-Pierre (P43A), and Lisandro (P43L) and Lissette, and ALex's XYL Natasha;
and it was very nice to get a chance to visit with Martin (P43MR) and Truus
(P43MRS).

Thanks to everyone for participating.  And special thanks to the many US/VE
hams for calling in on extended runs when there was propagation only to the NA.
 As usual, thanks are also due to John, W6LD, and Ed, W0YK, for keeping
everything shipshape with the station (and to Cris and JP for ditto with the
house itself -- with particular mention to JP for the delight of actually being
able to take hot showers now with the new spot water heater for the shower that
he installed for the cottage).

Full story and rate sheet will be posted on www.arubaqth.com.

73, Andy, AE6Y, P49Y
Rig: K3, Alpha 91B
Ant: 2 el 10, 5 el 15, 4 el 20, 2 el 40, 1 el 80, C31, beverages
Software: CQPWIN ver. 12.9