[3830] CQWW CW K5WA SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 28 09:43:37 EST 2016

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K5WA
Operator(s): K5WA
Station: K5WA

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: STX

  160:   56    14       28
   80:  170    23       67
   40:  357    31       97
   20:  488    33      108
   15:  250    27       84
   10:   53    14       28

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I am so happy to have survived the WRTC2018 qualifying events and I gave this
last one everything I had with 45 hours in the chair.  The first day had some
very strange conditions but day 2 settled down into some rather good
conditions.  Some of the watery 20M signals in the morning sounded like the
over the pole flutter from years past but I sure don't know what to call them.
I still can't believe JA was on 40M at 1300 their local time with loud signals
to the US.  I am still amazed with my 160 and 80 4SQR antennas but on 20-10 I
have a big drop off in antenna performance which I'll need to address some day.
 40M continues to be a mystery for my station with the intermittent on my 30
year old KLM at 160 feet (which worked perfectly this weekend for once!)  but
I've already built the new M2 40 to replace it and will get that up in the next
few months.

This score probably won't hold on to edge out N5AW since Marv is always more
accurate than me but I'm happy to have given it my best shot and remain close
to Marv's score for this one.  I hope this will keep me in the top 10 of the
WRTC2018 USA qualifying scores.  We'll see.  Congrats to Marv for finishing #1
USA and #1 in NA#4.  Amazing!

Now I can get back to SS, NAQP and Sprint which I've had to lay off of while in
the WRTC hunt.  There's only so many weekends I want to stay away from family
and my very supportive wife but I also retire next summer and get to see what
kind of limitations that affords me.

Thanks for the Qs!!!

73,
Bob K5WA