[3830] CQWW CW K0RF M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 28 12:22:58 EST 2016

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K0RF
Operator(s): W0UA K7NV W0ZP K0RF
Station: K0RF

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: CO

  160:   80    17       35
   80:  324    28       69
   40:  778    35      118
   20: 1002    39      138
   15:  324    29       79
   10:   68    14       30

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Well, when I had told the M/M crew that we would not be doing the usual thing
because this would be a shakedown for the new station, I had no idea how bad
things could be.
The good news is that we managed to actually have two rigs on for about two
thirds of the contest and were only completely off the air for about two hours.
The bad news is that we were unable to point antennas to the desired direction
much of the time. We were not able to point the 3 element 40M beam to JA the
first night and the 2 element was totally dead. We tried to run for a while on
our four square, but couldn't get answers.
We also had trouble with our lock-out keyer crashing a lot of the time so we
had to stand down long enough to go back to the mechanical lock out that we had
used in the past.
Kurt and I were pretty brain dead after averaging 4 hours of sleep for 10 days
while trying to get enough stuff working to actually get on. We thought that
the mechanical and electrical work was over when we sat down to operate but
that was actually just the beginning. I probably spent at least half of the
contest trying to make stuff work and Kurt spent about a third of his time
doing the same, including climbing towers, etc.
George did a great job operating and contributed much of our contact volume
despite feeling poorly. He is winning his health battle, but the battle scars
are significant right now. I can't wait until this is all is all behind him. It
was a real sacrifice for him to join in, and the team really appreciates it.
Wayne started his contest at 10 PM Thursday when he left his QTH in South Bend,
IN to drive to Indianapolis where he caught the plane that arrived at 6 AM on
Thanksgiving. Then he was put to work packaging control circuitry the took him
until 3 AM on Friday. Then he was back up at 6 AM to continue the preparations
for the contest start. He then proceeded to operate the whole contest. He gets
the butt-in-chair award.
Okay, enough whining. We still choose to do this, though I sometimes wonder
why.

Oh, BTW, did I mention that condx stunk?

But, all that said, we are back on the air, post fire and ice storm, so I am
thankful.

Thank you all for the QSOs and for making this the unique event that it is.

73,

Chuck and Crew
73,

Chuck