[3830] CQWW CW KH6BE SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 28 19:20:35 EST 2016

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: KH6BE
Operator(s): KH6BE
Station: KH6BE

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   20:  32      6        6
   15:  49     13       15
Total:  81     19       21  Total Score = 8,080

FT-817ND 5W, Buddipole vertical dipole, N1MM Logger+/Dell Inspiron 3000
micro-notebook

Worked battery-powered portable from nearby beachfront park Fri afternoon, Sat
afternoon, and Sun morning - I live in a condo with no good HF operating
options.

15 was good for me 0100-0300 the first day with several SA QSO's and my only BY
(many had strong TX signals, but most couldn't hear me). I switched to 20 and
worked mostly JA's until I packed up around local sunset at 0400.

My Saturday afternoon session started on 15 around 2200 - lots of easy JA
QSO's, but general signal levels faded dramatically for me around 00Z. I
listened on 10, and could hear a strong PY station (who couldn't hear me), and
weak JA's. 20 wasn't any better, so I returned to 15 and the band opened up
around 02Z to VK/ZL for a few more QSO's before sunset (including VK6/Zone 29).
I heard a lot of moderately strong stations from Zones 26 & 28 (HS, XV, 9M,
V8, P2), but signals were fluctuating, and I couldn't get an answer from any of
them.

I started my Sunday session around 21Z and picked up several west coast USA
stations before the band conditions there tailed off for me. I finished the
contest on 20 - still needed the Zone 31/KH6 multipliers, and the KH6
superstations were all active there. Mainland USA signals were inconsistent,
but I worked as many as I could with difficulty whenever their signals peaked.
There were a few strong JA's, but that path was not very open for me. I could
hear almost all the stations the KH6 big guns were running, but few were at the
S 5-6 level where I usually have a chance.

QRP operation from Hawaii is a great challenge - even more so with a simple
antenna and a radio that is certainly not optimal for CW contesting. Got a lot
of ? and AGN responses (doesn't help that my call isn't in SCP yet). Thanks to
all the ops out there who persisted to dig my tiny signal out of the noise!