[3830] CQWW CW N1LN M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 29 07:05:35 EST 2016

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): KU5B N4CW WA4PSC W4FS K4OV N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: NC 05

  160:   57    14       38
   80:  476    24       96
   40:  942    36      124
   20: 1590    35      131
   15:  910    29      114
   10:  103    18       40

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The ongoing solar activity and weekend projection was not exactly what we were
hoping for. Our concerns were unfortunately proven to be correct. Even with the
less than favorable conditions the team persevered. I would like to take this
opportunity to recognize the outstanding job our team did this year. Even with
conditions that might only reach a level of minimally acceptable the teamwork
and energy level throughout the entire 48 hour period was outstanding. The team
truly made lemonade from lemons.

This was also the first time we used CQ Contest live scoring to track our
progress with other M2 teams.  Another expression would be misery loves
company. It was quickly evident that we were not the only US M2 team to be
struggling with the conditions. We also used RBN to monitor how the DX was
hearing us which seemed to help some with decisions to run or S/P. As we
don’t have the capability to have both a run and mult setup we really had to
optimize our use of run and S/P.

Fortunately we only had one station issue and for the most part we were able to
work around it. There was a new and significant interaction between the 160
phased verticals and the 40 meter stack. When both were transmitting at the
same time the 40 meter ACOM would fault as it was seeing excessive power coming
in on the feed coax. The quick solution was to decrease 160 power to 500 watts.
That helped solve the 40 meter issue but was not helpful on 160 as we needed
all the legal limit power possible. Our 160 results point this out. This issue
is on the top of the things to resolve immediately after the ARRL 160 CW this
coming weekend.

Even with the few issues and bad propagation this contest was still lots of
fun. It has always been my favorite major of the year but due to the scheduling
around Thanksgiving it typically is hard to get a team together assuming I am
available which is not always the case. But this year it came together. Colin
(KU5B) and I decided in July that we would give it a try. He bought his plane
tickets so GAME ON. The team was filled out with:  N4CW (Bert), WA4PSC (Howie),
W4FS (Tucker), K4OV (Rob) and me.

Thanks to everyone around the world for participating and making the 48 hours
fly by and the Q count, Mult count and score continue to increase.

Station 1:  K3, ACOM 2000
Station 2:  K3, ACOM 2000
160: 2 phased wire inverted Ls with raised radials
80: 2 phased wire verticals with raised radials
40: stacked 2 over 2  XM240s
20: stacked 4 x 4 x 4
15: stacked 5 x 5 x 5
10: T10 log x 4 ele M2 x A3