[3830] CQWW CW KH6J(@KH6YY) M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 29 14:27:03 EST 2016

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: KH6J
Operator(s): KH7U KH6U WH6R WH7W KH6SH KH6FP N2NL
Station: KH6YY

Class: M/M HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:  419    20       25
   80: 1210    34       76
   40: 2030    37      118
   20: 1945    38      104
   15: 2389    36       93
   10:  236    23       34

Many thanks to the continued generosity of Alex, KH6YY, for allowing us to
invade his station yet again for an enjoyable weekend!  Despite challenging
conditions on all bands and a lack of propagation to Europe, I believe we met
or exceeded all of our personal expectations.  Many people noted that this
weekend was a tale of two separate contests, one inside EU and a second for
everyone else.  No where did this seem more true than from the central Pacific
where European contacts (and resultant mults) were few and far between.

On 160m, John KH6U had success completing QSOs from the Caribbean to European
Russia, and most places in between around the Pacific Basin.

Mark WH7W got to drive the 2el 80, racking up a bunch of QSOs including a few
with Europe and Africa, difficult even in times with good conditions.

40m was our powerhouse band, with John KH6SH winning the inner-station
multiplier battle.  The band was open to Europe for many hours, however there
seemed to be few callers from that part of the world.

Eran WH6R is our usual 20m stalwart, and put many hours in the chair to rack up
a respectable total.  He had the challenge of determining which path to point
the antennas, because there were many times when signals were the same strength
either SP or LP (equally weak).  Mark WH7W and Stu KH6FP filled in periodically
which allowed Eran to get up and stretch his legs.

I piloted 15m, and enjoyed decent rate to NA and Asia both days.  There was a
remarkable amount of activity out of China and Thailand this year.  On the flip
side, only *4* Europeans made it into the log, which really hurt the multiplier
total.  Zero QSOs with zones 15 and 20!

Kimo KH7U was dealt a bad hand by Murphy on 10m, and not just conditions.  Just
before the contest started, the 10m stack was found to be faulty, despite being
operational the previous month.  Kimo spent many hours up on the tower, in the
rain, troubleshooting what would eventually be determined to be a stackmatch
failure.  Eventually he was able to use a log periodic until Sunday morning
when its rotor faulted with the antenna pointed at South America.  Despite
these issues, he was able to recover nicely on a band that was hit hardest by
the lack of sunspots.

Even with these challenges, a CQWW DX weekend with bad propagation is still a
pretty good weekend, and plenty of fun was had by all.

For the team,
73, Dave N2NL/KH6