[3830] CQWW CW K8CN SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Nov 30 23:20:48 EST 2016

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K8CN
Operator(s): K8CN
Station: K8CN

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: NH

  160:    4     2        2
   80:   11     5        4
   40:   84    12       40
   20:  165    16       66
   15:  128    18       53
   10:   24     7       18

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

As a now seasoned QRP contester I'm accustomed to slow starts, but this year was
the Maunder Minimum of starts: 15 Qs in 2.5 hours!  That early slog set the tone
for the final outcome: two-thirds the Qs of last year's total, less than half
the total points. I'll refrain from propagation observations since so many have
already documented the tough conditions. This was a 100% S&P event -
couldn't raise more than 2 or 3 Qs when I attempted to run at different times.

This note is largely written for my own memory refresher on what NOT to do next
year:
-- don't drink so much caffeinated coffee on Thanksgiving evening that I end up
with a huge sleep deficit come 0000Z Saturday.
-- don't swap out the old trusty logging computer for the new (well,
refurbished cheapie) logging computer with upgrade to N1MM+ an hour before the
start.
-- don't forget to include contest nourishment and hydration in the
pre-Thanksgiving grocery run.
-- don't allow another year to go by without adding at least one new antenna,
preferably oriented south to Caribbean/South America.

Best moment: scanning across 15M on Sunday afternoon, hearing a furtive QRL?,
finding it to be FO/K7AR who I had chased a couple of times earlier with no
success in the pileups, then snagged him on first call and listened as the
pileup commenced.

Worst moment: falling asleep at the keyboard for 90 minutes around 1445Z
Saturday, and then AGAIN around 1700Z for another hour lost.  Normally I have
an innate sense of when to change bands or strategy, but sleep deprivation
destroyed that sense until mid-day Sunday when it seemed to come crawling back.
It's an odd feeling during a contest to wonder, "Where am I and what am I
doing here on this band?"

I still enjoyed this contest, mainly due to the many ops who work especially
hard to complete a Q with us weak signal devotees - you are the greatest!
Thanks for reviving my flagging spirit by asking for repeats until the contact
is made - your tenacity inspires me to persist and carry on.

73,
Mike, K8CN
Durham NH

Rig: K3 @ 5 Watts, low dipoles that were once a mighty Lazy H cut for 20
meters, and Johnson Matchbox to ensure harmonious relations between the K3 and
the badly sagging aerial.