[3830] CaQP N8II SOFixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 4 16:40:06 EDT 2016

California QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOFixed LP
QTH: WV

  160:    0      0
   80:    4      0
   40:   53     18
   10:    8     14
--------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Working large numbers of small CA stations is quite a challenge from 2300 miles
away; the Midwest has a big advantage. It was mostly S%P for me until evening
rolled around here. At 21Z, I finally managed to run a few stations on 15M
phone which had been wide open since around 1730Z. I had checked 10 a few times
to hear nothing, then another check at 22Z revealed some big signals from
southern CA (most northerly was N6O in CCOS). All 10M Q's worked Saturday were
from 2203-2224Z and 15 was way down immediately thereafter, so it was time for
trying a run on 20 phone. I was in QP running heaven from 2253-0034Z working
134 Q's during that unbroken no QSY run. Conditions were really good, noise was
low, and QRM bearly nil! I finished Saturday with 525 Q's rather early; I was
not enjoying myself trying to break through on 80 with watery signals, which
were not so on 40. Trying to crack a 40 SSB pile up is also pretty frustrating
from here.

Sunday was slow, but always a new Q on a new band to be found. 15 was barely
open early and stayed that way for a long time with strong signals finally
around 17Z. I had a decent run on 15 phone from 1852-1930Z. 10 opened briefly
from 1845-50Z for 3 Q's and worked N6O later. I took longer breaks than I would
have if not so slow just making 161 Q's on Sunday. Running on CW was very slow
at best the whole time.

Thanks for all of the Q's; working 280 unique CA calls on 20 phone was pretty
amazing! The operator quality was good/great almost across the board and even
the slow guys did pretty well. I notice that one CA op who is no speed demon on
CW is at the top of his category.

73, Jeff