[3830] PaQP K8MR SO Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 10 16:29:10 EDT 2016

Pennsylvania QSO Party

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH: 15 Counties

   40:  231     19
   20:  105     11
---------------------------------------
Total:  336     23      0         0  Mults = 82  Total Score = 64,990

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

This score is approximate - multipliers are from memory, as the log is spread
over 15 separate logs. I used NA rather than my normal N1MM, as MM+ does not
run on my trusty old mobile laptop, and I could not use MM Classic with the new
Ontario sections. Plus MM of both varieties does not allow for separate serial
number sequences for each county, a major disadvantage for a mobile in a
contest like PaQP. The score includes 7000 for activating 14 counties (not
enough Q's in NUM) and an estimated 5 QSOs with W3UU (all in CUM).

This was an opportunistic operation. Saturday afternoon my son-in-law's family
(Cleveland daughter) hosted a clambake at his parents' QTH 10 miles from PA. So
I excused myself for a couple of hours before the food was ready to run over to
the rest area on I-90 three miles into Erie county, for 45 minutes of
operating. 40 was quite good, but few signals were heard on 20, even from AZ.
Highlight was hearing NO3M's VFO zero beating me and then Ty calling me with
his 1930's vintage setup.

We were then heading to New Jersey on Sunday to visit our other daughter, so I
got my wife to drive most of I-80. She doesn't like driving, so I had to spell
her for a while in Clearfield, Centre, and Luzerne counties. (All big
counties). She was driving about 10 mph over her normal speeds, trying to get
to NJ in time to watch the Indians-Red Sox game at 4:30 EDT - which turns out
to have been rained out.

First time mobile in our Prius V. It is noisy, though not vastly noisier than
other cars I've been in. There were, however, one or more layers of signals
that I couldn't copy over the noise. Plus there was one time when 40 meters
went very quiet - turned out I had hit the RX Ant button on the K3. Sorry for
any alligator imitations on my part.

Since I was not trying to be competitive, I did not spend time looking for
multipliers, and did not stop to maximize QSOs in counties that we passed
through very quickly. I did smile when we stopped for lunch at Arby's in
Clearfield and found a long line - I went to the car and operated while my wife
got the food. And in Monroe county, we came to a dead stop in a four mile
traffic backup from an accident at the Tannersville exit. This may have been
the first time in recorded history that somebody was happy to get stuck in a
traffic jam, allowing for a very good total from MOE.

It was a very good way to occupy myself on the otherwise boring trip down I-80,
and as always good to work old friends and pass out QSOs to new ones.

Next Saturday (Oct 15) I'm planning a short mobile trip in the New York QSO
Party, heading out from my daughter's NNJ QTH to visit New York, Bronx, and
Queens counties in NYC, then heading up to the Tappan Zee Bridge and back to
NJ. Hope to catch lots of you then.

73  -  Jim  K8MR