[3830] Oceania CW ZM2B(ZL2BR) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 11 00:58:56 EDT 2016

Oceania DX Contest, CW

Call: ZM2B
Operator(s): ZL2BR
Station: ZM2B

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Taranaki

   40:  402   242
   20:  206   157
   15:  258   161
Total:  934   614  Total Score = 1,910,154

Because of band qso point weighting system of this contest and in particular for
the 80m and 40m, to get a good score you have got to spend a lot of time on 80m
and 40m.

So that was my plan anyway, but a couple of problems appeared. Firstly at the
start of the contest the QRN noise on 80m was extremely high with some big
crashes. A check of the NZ lightning strike web-page revealed a couple of big
busy lightning strike areas, one in the northern Tasman Sea west of Auckland
and another just offshore from my QTH. So decided give 80m away and concentrate
on 40m where things went well with a 60-80 hourly QSO rate. But then at 1515UTC
along came some heavy rain accompanied by the dreaded rain static! As 20m was
just about dead, I just had to sit it out and wait for the rain static to cease
which took nearly an hour.

So although my final score was better than last year, it was still only my 5th
best score in this contest. As they say always another year, I hope!

Rig: IC-7600, AL80B amp, C3SS yagi, 40m GP, 80m dp

Log uploaded to LoTW.

73, Frank