[3830] WAG VE9AA SO Mixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 16 13:48:14 EDT 2016

Worked All Germany Contest

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: nb
Operating Time (hrs): 19:47

   80:  157      26     26
   40:  141      12     23
   20:  235     137     26
   15:   94      11     24
   10:    0       0      0
----------------------------
Total:  626     186     99  Total Score = 241,461

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

What can we say about the Germans?  They put on a great contest don't they?

WOW - as usual, they came out in droves. UNFORTUNATELY, the propagation never
followed them.  Good thing for us, many of the German ops are FB operators !

I have many 4 or 5 band QSO's and some others worked on both modes on most
bands, like DJ5MW worked 8 times for example. FB show Manfred.

 At the start I tried LP and nobody could hear me, so I said to heck with WRTC
points, I want to have fun, and kicked in the wee afterburners, small as they
are. Both amps here are about 500-600w depending on the band, swr, etc.

All antennas here are WIRE, with the exception of 15m, I used a very very low
3-el tribander. (10m is the same antenna, but no QSO's on 10, hi)

20m - 4-square
40m - 4-square
80m - 4-square

10m never made an appearance, but I did hear a few SA working Germany.  No sign
of the DL/DK fellas on 10, even beaming sidescatter.  A few years ago I was
working QRP and mobile stations by the dozen. Oh for the good ol' days, eh!

15m made a small showing Saturday, but was a faint representation of only 2-3
yrs ago when the Germans were in 30 or 40 / S9.......sigh.  Can't wait for
those days to come back. Sunday only made a couple dozen Q's on 15m during a
very very brief opening which stated backscatter beaming ZS6 and quickly moved
to direct path.  This is our future.

20m was slow to wake up and early to bed both days.  Very few really strong
signals.

40m.  I don't know if I was too close or what, but it seemed to go real long
very quickly.  I could hear VE3's, W3's/W4's/W5's working DL's but after a
couple hours no trace of them all night.

80m.  Was nearly my bread and butter band, even before sunset was working some
folks, so for 8 hours off and on, made nearly 200 Q's here on 80m.  Heard W1UE,
NR3X, K1LZ, E7DX, EC2DX, K3PA and other WRTC hopefuls in all the same 'packet
pileups' as I was in.  Most all of them very civil.  Won a few, lost a few,
hi/.

At 3am local I pulled the plug for a few hours as I cannot tolerate single
digit hours.

That's the way it goes.

Had a lot of trouble with J on most bands.  Just couldn't hear him and not sure
"JR" is a real DOK, but logged first, worry later.  Seemed he spent a
lot of time on 40m in the daylight hours, and when he was on late and night,
the band was too long.  HI

As others have commented, it almost seemed like people were making up their own
DOK's, some with numeric preceding other letters....it would be QUITE
informative to have some of this information on the WAG website going into the
contest.

A few Germans (more than in the past?) tricked me by first sending a serial # ,
then the DOK all as one unit....this threw me for a loop, after copying a bunch
of those weird DOK's so I was entering things like 030P14 and then scratching
my head.  Made me even question what folks were sending.

As usual, I appreciate ALL QSO's and only had a tiny fraction that did not make
the grade due to QSB/QRN/QRM.  QRM was at a minimum and it was easy to S&P
with very little in the way of QRM and running (though limited) was OK too,
such as it was.

This is pretty much a S&P, point and click fest.

Only 2 WRTC qualifiers left, but unless someone picks me as a partner, I am
sunk.  Can't compete with super stations or those entering as (ahem) LP....

Thanks once again to all our German friends across the pond.  I have visited
there in 2010 and hope to get back someday.  Will it be in 2018?  Who knows.

Danke. bis spater

Mike VE9AA NB
2 x IC7410's, ~550w, N1MM+, N3ZN paddles, CM-500 Yamaha Headset.