[3830] TBDC VE9AA Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 23 07:23:01 EDT 2016

Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Pre-Stew

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN66

Total:  QSOs = 174  Total Score = 596

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Spent about 6 hours Saturday in the heavy drizzle and light rain putting the
finishing touches on the new 160m array hoping that installing it in poor wx
would add 3dB to the fresh installation.(isn't that how it works?) (Seems to
work well but not sure about that *extra* 3dB or not, hi !)  It was warm enough
at 17ºC but kinda hard to solder in that kind of WX out in the field!

I got finished literally at SS, and I was hearing many EU's, incl 5B4 etc., but
had no time to play. Made supper for family, then watched a long movie.  Got on
for about an hour or so either side of local midnight and condx were about
average. K7CA loudest to the west and UX1UA to the East.  Heard a couple
Russians CQ once or twice, then nothing. Never could attract the full attn of
HA8RM, best I could do was 9AA-frustrating as he was 529-579......UA4M same.
Banging in here, but only a few QRZ's. G4AMT was his normal solid self, hearing
and transmitting well (FB Terry).  Managed KV4FZ (thanks for hanging in there
Herb) and some W12,3,4,5,8,9,0's then went to bed).

In the morning (6am local) NP2X was as loud as many of New England gang calling
him.  K7CA was audible, but that's about it.  I was barely hearing any W8's
above the low noise floor and nothing at all from the west coast. Where was
N6TR (or K7RAT)? Condx seemed extremley muted for the close-in guys
w1,2,3,4,8,9 but was hearing the occasional W5/0 and Carib. Very weird.

Thrilled to put KH6LC in the log @ SR+4mins.  Good ears Lloyd and/or crew !
(hrd up til 15mins past SR)

I am liking the new 2el array. PVS-2(with HB controller)......I can choose NE,
SW either with excellent F/B, or a combo SE/NW bi-directional mode which is
essentially omni. Only problem is how to choose !  I don't know if the way it's
configued using wire inverted L's gives me any real world gain, but there's
certainly a good deal of F/B when choosing NE or SW and the noise floor is now
quite a bit less.  The electric fence next door (to NE) usually slams me pretty
hard on 160m (S9 or more) and I seem to be able to knock that down quite a bit
when beaming Stateside.

A good trial run for the contest season to come.  Tons of familar calls. Thanks
fellas - It was good to hear you all so well !

Mike VE9AA FN66...IC-7410...650w...PVS-2 array...N1MM+