[3830] CQWW SSB VA3DF SOAB(A) LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 30 20:46:40 EDT 2016

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VA3DF
Operator(s): VA3DF
Station: VA3DF

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: ONS
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   13     3        6
   80:  222    16       38
   40:  143    21       68
   20:  295    24       94
   15:  184    21       64
   10:  111    13       40
------------------------------
Total:  968    98      310  Total Score = 1,004,904

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Propagation, don't get me started! Suffice to say that after the first 12 hour
period I had pretty well lost interest in this puppy. However, on the positive
side I had a lot of spare time to perform a variety of tasks such as organizing
the papers on my desk, cutting my nails and wander around the house looking for
something to do!

However, there were still some nuggets out there. Surprised to work ZL on LP
SSB and foolishly took that as an omen of things to come. Did work some neat DX
during the contest but that was between naps and goofing off. Had a stupendous
run on 80 m Saturday night...

Was seriously thinking of quitting but decided to get over it and just soldier
on. Late Sunday afternoon I was sitting around 800K and realized that I just
might be able to reach 1 Million points so I started to pay a bit more
attention - ended up that as 2400Z approached I was close but no cigar! Thanks
to my buddies in SA (who always wish me good luck) I managed to put a lot of 20
m qsos in the log and then finished things off with multipliers on 80 and 40. to
reach my goal with about 15 minutes left on the clock.

Aside from all my bitching and complaining I have to say that I did enjoy the
contest and especially using my new beverage antenna on 80 - that thing just
kills the noise!

I'll look forward to the CQWW CW with a new found appreciation for good
conditions.

73 and thanks to all my SA buddies,

Doug
VA3DF