[3830] CQWW SSB ZM4T(ZL3IO) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 30 21:28:47 EDT 2016

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: ZM4T
Operator(s): ZL3IO
Station: ZM4T

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Kiwi-DX-Lodge

   80:  174    22       38
   40: 1037    30       84
   20:  663    27      102
   15: 1202    27       71
   10:  376    16       23

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

That was hard work...

I only came back to New Zealand Friday night before the contest. The antenna
work done during the weeks before paid already off, especially the new 40 m
beam.

It was clear that the high bands would not be as good as last year(s) but even
on 15m were hardly any EU's for us down South to work. But we are still lucky
here that we have good paths to Japan and North America which guarantee a good
base load of QSO's.

Fortunately I could make up for the missing multipliers on the low bands and
ended with only 10 mults less than last year. QSO numbers were in the same
range as last year which was a positive surprise.

10m had some fluctuating openings to NA & AS with lots of deep QSB.
15m was great to NA/AS but difficult to get attention from EU. Typically they
would start calling on top of me.
20m was probably the money band for many. That made it impossible for me to get
the attention of some rare multipliers especially in Africa. They were good copy
here but we are a few S units weaker compared to US or EU stations.
40m was crowded with typically 2-3 stations on top of each other. The band
sounded very noisy but it could also be the impression due to the new beam.
Most signals were super strong and for the first time on the low bands I had
the feeling that I got called my more stations than I could hear.
80m was good and productive into NA but difficult into Europe/Asia at SS/SR.

As the station is still under construction /re-modeling I currently have no
antenna available for 160m.

Let's see how ZM1A (Jacky, ZL3CW) did. Depending on his result this could be a
new ZL record for SOAB HP.

73 Holger

Rig: K3 + KPA500
Antennas: