[3830] CQWW SSB N2RJ SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 30 23:58:28 EDT 2016

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N2RJ
Operator(s): N2RJ
Station: N2RJ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NNJ

  160:    8     3        2
   80:   52    12       28
   40:  202    22       62
   20:  765    22       86
   15:  189    20       56
   10:   67    11       22

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

The good:
Station performed flawlessly. New transceiver, new amp, refurbished antenna,
new antenna halfway in the contest. Everyone kept saying "LOUD" in
reference to my signal. Very glad to have my antenna fully refurbed and
hopefully up in the air for a long time.

The bad:
Conditions were all over the place. Even though I was able to run nearly every
band, the runs were pathetic compared to what I'm used to. On 40 for example I
was working mostly Canadians which is unusual since I'm pretty good on 40 to
Europe.

The ugly:
Overslept Saturday into Sunday. Inverted vee for 80 fell off the tower on
Friday, so I had to take time off to climb the tower on Saturday to put one
back up. Instead of open wire line I decided to use an unused 7/8" Heliax
run up the tower and connect to that. I looked in the junk box and found a
voltage balun I had last used in 9Y in 2006, so I took that and put it up. As a
result I began getting reports of "loud" on 80 as well. Why I didn't
do this before is beyond me. Anyway, new vertical array is going up for 80.

I had the scare of my life with the amp when I was setting it up. Due to the
80m antenna falling off the tower, during testing the amp was stuck
transmitting 1.5kw. Eventually I smelled something burning (which turned out to
be a balun I had used to connect the open wire line). The amp shut off. I got
scared. Did a full reset and it came back to life. PHEW!

Anyway not very pleased with the result but I am sure it would have been worse
if I had used the old broken setup!

88, Ria