[3830] CQWW SSB KH6LC(N6GQ) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 31 03:14:31 EDT 2016

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KH6LC
Operator(s): N6GQ
Station: KH6LC

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: HI

  160:   17     7        5
   80:  209    20       35
   40: 1308    34       90
   20: 1358    30       63
   15: 1663    25       63
   10:  600    23       41

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Huge thanks to Lloyd, KH6LC for allowing me to come over to his tropical
paradise and play radio. This was sort of a last minute thing for me due to a
heavy work schedule and many balls in the air as it were, but wonderful to see
great friends Lloyd, Rob (NH6V) and Curt (AH6RE).

Thanks for all the QSOs!

As so many have said, conditions sucked. It was almost creepy to be on for a
whole weekend from a killer station and almost never hear a single peep from
Europe on any band. The one big exception was a fantastic greyline longpath
opening on 40M that lasted 2+ hours as it passed from zone 21 over to zone 14.
That was something I won't soon forget.

The station, after some redesign with antenna placement since earlier in the
year, played exceptionally well. I always felt loud. I had brought over a SO2R
box that was untested and didn't have it hooked up until just before the
contest. Even though there were issues with the box and interconnects, all
ended up working better than expected. No equipment failures to speak of! More
filtering, antennas more spread out, more fixed yagis, and lots of improvements
still to come.

Given conditions as they were going into the contest, I had hoped for 5000 QSOs
and around 5M points, and I felt that would have been a reasonable score based
on no real preparation and conditions that were less than optimal, so when the
score rolled passed 5M I was happy and had a good portion of the day left. I
actually slept a good deal more than planned!

Radio 1: FTDX5000 + AL1500
Radio 2: FTDX3000 + AL1500
10M: 7L M2 yagi
15M: 6L M2 yagi
20M: 5L M2 yagi + KT36XA fixed on JA (StackMatched)
40M: 4L + 3L yagis  (Stackmatched)
80M: 4 Square
160M: Vertical dipole

It was great to talk with all of our friends around the world in the best
contest of the year.

Please look for KH6LC in CQWW CW (M/2)!

73 de N6GQ @ KH6LC